10.6.08

Baby, The Stars Shine Bright

By and large, star-printed clothes annoy me (though there are exceptions), not least because they're so damn twee (and then they turned trendy too. Heaven help us..). But then a random eBay browse led me to the following beauty by Hanae Mori, currently in the possession of Couture Allure Vintage Fashions:
The $249 that it's going for, here, isn't anywhere within my budget and I'm not sure that I'd stump up that much for just the print, but I love the constellation effect of the whole thing (that's how the seller describes it, and I agree. But it looks more like a coatdress/coverupdress than an actual dress), and the red moon combines with the scattering of the print to make it rather sweetly imaginative instead of emo. In any case, I've rediscovered my love of five-pointed star doodles, which isn't such a bad thing really.

12 comments:

WendyB said...

Aw, the little moons are cute. I have a Hanae Mori dress that made my sister say, "Oh, you're all dressed up for your third-grade picture."

Anonymous said...

That is a perfect print. You are so right about the moons making it not so emo/high-street. It's funny how there are 'symbol' trends - last year everything was all hearty - prints/buttons etc and now stars are coming back.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you have found a star print that works for me...how did you do it?

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Wendy: I love the little moons! And I'd love to see you model your Hanae Mori dress sometime...

L: I don't mind heart prints, they're a perennial for me, but stars, now, they're tricky.

Susie: By pure accident...the actual search term I used was 'Hanae Mori', which turned me up a couple of lovely scarves and this (there's surprisingly only one page of items in the search results- and she's not even obscure!).

Elizabeth said...

It's cute—not cloying.

laia. said...

oh i love this!!!

Elisabeth said...

Wow, I agree with you when you say star prints anooy you - and I also agree that this is a gorgeous little find!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Star clothes I love, stars tattoos however are terrible.

Meg said...

Chanel killed the star print for me. Now I prefer space =)

Blue Floppy Hat said...

ENC: I agree, it's really cute!

Laia: glad you do...

Elisabeth: Like I said to Susie, entirely by accident- I wasn't even looking out for star prints!

The Clothes Horse: Ouch...I have a star tattoo! (which might sound odd coming from a person who dislikes star prints, but this was before I knew of the number of celebs who had them).

Meg: I think star prints were less annoying when they weren't everywhere...maybe they'll just go back to being a cute kitschy print in a year or so.

yumiko said...

i love that red moon...and the way the stars go from big to small, like theyre fading out

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Yumiko: it looks just like an actual constellation, which is probably why I love it so..you're right :)

About Me

My photo
Fondest of upbeat music and brightly coloured sweets.